09 Aug This week at Hope 8/09/2021
Yesterday in worship we observed the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost and came to a better understanding of Pure Holiness. These four gold nuggets from a diverse group provided deeper insight into the gift of Jesus:
- Holiness is not the way to Christ; Christ is the way to holiness. (C.H. Spurgeon)
- True holiness is not achieved by what we do, but what we allow God to do in us. (Mark Hart)
- Holiness is not a state of perfection but a faithful striving that lasts a lifetime. (Dorothy Day)
- Jesus is honey in the mouth, music in the ear, and a shout of joy in the heart. (St. Bernard of Clairvaux)
We have been enjoying top-level discussion in our Sunday Adult Discipleship class! The Epistle of James is a rich resource to inspire us to pure holiness on the way of Christ.
Everyone is invited to the Summertime Fellowship Lunch this Wednesday at 12 noon in the Parish Hall. Bring a main dish or side dish to share. For dessert you can sit back and enjoy unlimited Ice Cream Floats with vanilla ice cream and your favorite sody waters. Plans are to view the entertaining video, Brother White.
A new session of GriefShare begins this week on Thursday. This could be a good help and support to you, or you could invite someone you know to come and benefit. The meeting time will be 6-8 pm in Hope Harbor. Talk to Betty Bobo for more details.
You can pitch in and help out this Saturday as the church again provides TACOS & PRAYERS for the neighborhood. Preparation will start at 8:30 am at the church; Distribution will commence at 10:00 am in the MBC service station parking lot. This is an easy and fun way to show Jesus to our neighbors!
Men, Mark It Down—our next men’s group gathering is next week Tuesday, August 17. This month we will return to Tres Amigos for all your Tex-Mex favorites. Guys start showing up around 5 pm, and we will be hanging out until at least 6:30 pm.
The Lord has supplied each of us generously with daily provision. I encourage you to make regular and faithful Offerings at Hope in faith and gratitude for God’s loving care. Here are three ways to do that:
• In-person at the offering plate;
• On the church website by the Give with Us button;
• Through the Vanco mobile app GivePlus.
Scripture readings for next Sunday—Proverbs 9:1-10; Ephesians 5:6-21; John 6:51-69.
Birthdays—8/12 Terry Wende
Anniversaries—8/13 Daniel & Piper Betts; 8/15 Tenner & Pat Stork
“Live your life with love, following the example of Christ, who loved us and gave Himself for us.” Ephesians 5